Festive Veggie Cheese Balls
Serves 12 ( 2 cheese balls per person)
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, minced
- 2 ribs of celery, minced (about ¾ cup)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened (½ cup)
- ¼ cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup finely minced herbs such as parsley, tarragon, or chives
Place all of the ingredients except for the herbs in a medium bowl and mix together.
Spread out the minced herbs on a plate. Using a round tablespoon, scoop up 1 scant tablespoon of the cheese mixture. With moistened hands, roll this into a ball.
Roll the cheese balls in the minced herbs until covered with the herbs. Shake off any excess herbs.
Repeat with the remaining cheese mixture.
Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Tip: You can make the cheese balls without rolling in the herbs up to 24 hours in advance. Roll in the herbs up to 4 hours before serving.
This recipe may also be made into one large ball and served with whole-grain crackers.
Per serving (2 balls): 35 calories, 1g total fat, 105mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g protein